Saturday, December 6, 2008

Kahuna's Challenge

A while back, Kahuna and I had a difficult discussion about marriage. It was difficult because we hold the same values, but see them differently. At the end of our discussion, Kahuna challenged me to explore my thoughts further. Go deeper into their meanings. Since then, I have kept a book by my bed to jot notes in. I have categorized those notes into three sections:
  • What marriage and a wedding mean
  • Details I see when I dream of our wedding
  • Experiences I don't want to miss and fear regretting if I do

This will probably be modified along the way. But, this is what I have come up with so far:

What marriage and a wedding mean
  • Celebration of us
  • Blessing of union
  • Recognition of union by God, family, others
  • Commitment to God and us

Details I see when I dream of our wedding
  • Kahuna, Babushka, Dude, BuddyLuv, Pumpkin
  • Dresses
  • Suits
  • Colorful flowers, not big, just pretty
  • Special to do for nieces
  • No bridesmaids/groomsmen
  • Religious person for blessing
  • No meal
  • Ice cream bar/buffet?
  • Deserts
  • Immediate family, 2nd family, friends not huge, those that matter)
  • My mom and I being able to do girl things together
  • home made jewelry
  • home made invitations
  • Mansion, backyard, boat, non traditional
  • not for sake of impressions, but for enjoyment and celebration
  • Lots of candles

Experiences I don't want to miss and fear regretting if I do
  • Dress shopping
  • making invites
  • planning
  • flowers
  • ladies day instead of bachelorette party
  • Our first dance
  • celebrating us
  • working together w those we love
  • bonding
  • seeing you in your suit
  • being blessed
  • writing vows
  • making favors
These are the things that I think of when I think of our wedding day.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Interesting lists ...

My experience has been that in situations like this, what I want it to be, and the reality of what it is, are often like night and day.